Q: What travel experience took you the most out of your comfort zone?

A: In September 1991 my wife and I went on holiday for three weeeks to the Dominican Republic. We stayed at a very nice resort, the weather was great and the food tasty but after a couple of weeks we were bored. We decided that we would go to the airport and get the next flight to any Caribbean island. It ended up being San Juan, Puerto Rico. We had a great couple of days before returning to Puerto Plata. It was so good we decided to do it again. This time the next flight was to Port au Prince, Haiti, somewhere my wife said that she had always wanted to go. It was a large aeroplane that was full, after 20 minutes we landed in Port au Prince and oddly we were the only people to get off. Immigration looked at us as if we were mad, asked for twenty dollars each and then stamped and signed our passports. We did not have a clue where to go and so walked out of the airport and kept walking till we found a car rental place. It only had one car, a small suzuki jeep. So off we went exploring, our plan was to drive until we came to the coast and hopefully a hotel. After driving for about 30 minutes we were stopped at a military road block, where we were kept for an hour and asked lots of questions by a soldier and a white American guy who did not believe our story about being bored on vacation. Nothing bad was asked or said but it was very unsettling especially as there was a dead hog hanging from a tree bleeding out. In the end the American guy told us to be careful and we were allowed to carry on. We were stopped again 10 minutes later and went through the whole thing again. This time it seemed more serious and we were getting pretty anxious. After they let us go we got to Ibo beach and stayed the night in a beautiful beach hut. This resort must have been impressive in the sixties and seventies. But was now run down but fully staffed with only us staying there. It was all very surreal. In the morning we decided to leave the country and drove back to Port au Prince. Both roadblocks were gone and we got into town pretty quick but we were once again stopped at a checkpoint this time by the police who told us that there had just been a coup and that there would be no flights today. They then told us to follow them and they took us to a hotel near the palace. It was full of reporters and goverment people. We were so out of place. In the end we got a flight the next day. It was upon landing my wife told me that it was in fact Tahiti not Haiti she had wanted to go.

De aici.